on Facebook

Frequently Asked Questions

Demographic Information

Financial Benefits



Privacy Policy

Registration and Schedule Adjustment


Visiting the University of Maryland

Withdrawal from the University

Demographic Information

Q: How do I update my address or email?

To update your address or email online, visit Testudo.

You may also complete an Update Contact Information form and send by mail, fax, or email to:
Office of the Registrar
7999 Regents Drive
1108 Clarence M. Mitchell, Jr. Building
College Park, MD 20742
Fax: 301.314.9568
Email: registrar-help@umd.edu

Q: How do I change my name and/or social security number on my record?
Please refer to the change of name or Social Security Number policy for details.

Q: Can I get veteran benefits at University of Maryland?
Please refer to Veteran Benefits for detials.

Q: How can I get my enrollment certified for a Good Student Discount on my insurance?
Students may request an Enrollment Certification with GPA via Testudo. If your form requires a signature from a University official, you must complete a paper Verification Request form and send both forms to the Office of the Registar.

Q: How can I request enrollment certification?
Students may request an Enrollment Certification online via Testudo.

For written requests please print and complete the Verification Request form and mail, fax, or email to:
Office of the Registrar
7999 Regents Drive
1108 Clarence M. Mitchell, Jr. Building
College Park, MD 20742
Fax: 301.314.9568
Email: registrar-help@umd.edu


Q: How do I change the grading method of a class?
Undergraduates can change the grading method in the registration drop/add screen throughout the schedule adjustment period. Graduate students can change the grading method in the registration drop/add screen up to the last day to drop a graduate course. Graduate students are not eligible for the pass/fail grading option.

Q: Where can I view mid-term and final grades?
To view and print your grades, go here.

Q: Will I receive mid-term grades?
The policy and procedures concerning mid-term grades for undergraduate students can be found here.


Q: How do I apply to graduate?
You must apply for graduation before the end of the Schedule Adjustment period of the semester in which you wish to graduate. Applications can be completed online at http://www.testudo.umd.edu/apps/candapp/.

Q: How do I change my anticipated graduation date?
Students can supply their expected date of graduation by requesting an Enrollment Verification at http://www.testudo.umd.edu/apps/vreq/. For further questions call the Registrar’s Office at 301-314-8240.

Q: How do I find out information about commencement?
Check the commencement website at http://www.commencement.umd.edu/.

Q: When can I pick up my Graduation Tickets?
Commencement tickets are only required for the May ceremony. Graduating students will receive an email indicating the first day to pick up tickets, typically at the end of April.

Q: How can I request a degree verification?
Current students may log in at http://www.testudo.umd.edu/apps/vreq/.
Former students log in at https://www.sis.umd.edu/vreq/index_sid.html.

Your SID, in most cases, will be your Social Security Number. You will also be asked to enter your PIN (Personal Identification Number). If your PIN is invalid, please email us at pinrequest@testudo.umd.edu. For written requests please print and complete the Verification Request form and mail to:
Office of the Registrar
1108 Mitchell Building
College Park, MD 20742
Fax: 301.314.9568

Q: I have lost or damaged my diploma. Can I get it replaced?
To place your request, please fill out the application form and include a check or money order made payable to University of Maryland in the amount of $25.00. The form must be notarized and submitted directly to:
Diploma Office
University of Maryland
1118 Mitchell Building
College Park, MD 20742

Replacement diplomas carry all information contained on the original except that all signatories will be current administrators.

Privacy Policy

Q: Can my parents see my grades?
Students must grant parent access. Once access has been granted, parents can view their student’s grades at http://www.testudo.umd.edu/apps/grades/parents.html.

Q: Where can I find out more about the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)?
Please see the FERPA section of the Undergraduate Catalog.

Registration and Schedule Adjustment

Q: Where can I find my registration appointment time?
You can find your registration appointment time by logging into http://www.my.umd.edu.You will be notified by email when registration appointments are available online.

Q: How do I know if I am a freshman, sophomore, junior or senior?
Please see “Undergraduate Student Classification” in the Registration section.

Q: What does this registration block mean?
Please refer to the “Registration Blocks” in the Registration section.

Q: My registration appointment is today but I see I’m not eligible to enroll. What can I do?
If your registration status shows a block on your account, refer to “Registration Blocks” in the Registration section and follow the instructions given there. If your graduate admission has expired, call the Grad School at 301-405-0376. For an administrative block, call the Registrar’s Office at 301-314-8240 for more information.

Q: I need help registering for courses. Is there someone I can call?
Your academic advisor is responsible for instructing you on appropriate classes. If you’re having difficulty logging in, call OIT at 301-405-1400. If you need further assistance, call the Registrar’s Office at 301-314-8240.

Q: I am currently registered for this course, but would like to switch my section to another open section. What should I do?
To change sections in Drop/Add, change the number in the section field and press enter. If open, this will automatically transfer you to the new section without dropping the course.

Q: I need this specific course for my major, but the seats are currently reserved. What can I do?
Your Academic Advising College has the authority to examine your situation and make an exception if appropriate. Contact your Academic Advising College for further information.

Q: Testudo offered me a place on a holdfile for this course. What does that mean? Why is there no waitlist for this course?
If you do not meet the restrictions for the course, or all available seats are filled, you may place yourself on a holdfile for the course. Waitlists are not initially offered for courses that have some seats reserved for new incoming students. On the first day of classes, seat management restrictions will end and those students on the holdfile will be eligible for any remaining seats in the course. Those students on the holdfile for whom there are not open seats will be placed on a newly created waitlist. Students on the holdfile must check-in on the first day of classes, and then daily, to remain on the waitlist. Students my check on their progress by going to Waitlist Check-in.

Q: How do I drop a course?
Please refer to the Schedule Adjustment section.

Q: Where can I get information about being a Consortium Visitor at another college?
Information is available on our consortium page. For additional questions, please email dcconsortium@umd.edu.

Q: How do I withdraw from all courses?
To withdraw from all classes you may come to room 1113 in the Mitchell Building and do so in person, or you may fill out the withdrawal form and fax it to the Registrar’s Office at 301-314-9568.

Q: What is a leave of absence?
A leave of absence is available to students who need to take time away from the University with the intention of returning the following semester. For complete information on leave of absence (special considerations, impact on funding, etc.) please consult “Leave of Absence” in the Schedule Adjustment section.


Q: How do I get an unofficial copy of my transcript?
Unofficial transcripts can be obtained online from Testudo. Here, current and former students can view or print their unofficial transcript.

Q: How do I request a transcript and is there a fee?
There is an $8 fee per transcript. There will not be a charge for the first transcript printed for currently registered students. All other transcripts for current students and all transcripts for former students will cost $8.00 per copy.

You may request transcripts online or by mail, fax, email, or in person with a photo ID.

  • For online requests, visit Testudo.
  • For written requests, print and complete the Transcript Request form and mail, fax, or email to:

    Office of the Registrar
    7999 Regents Drive
    1108 Clarence M. Mitchell, Jr. Building
    College Park, MD 20742
    Fax: 301.314.9568
    Email: registrar-help@umd.edu
  • For in person requests, visit the Clarence M. Mitchell, Jr. Building, first floor service counter between the hours of 8:00am and 4:30pm, Monday through Friday. Please bring a photo ID.

Q: How long will it take to receive my transcript?
Requests made online will be mailed the following business day. Paper requests are processed 3-5 business days from receipt of the request. All transcripts are mailed through the U.S. Postal Service.

Q: Can I expedite my transcript request?
To expedite a transcript request, you can pick it up in person or send a prepaid FedEx mailing label to registrar-help@umd.edu.

Q: Can I have my transcript faxed or emailed?

Q: I have a financial hold on my account and cannot get a transcript. What should I do?
Contact Student Financial Services and Cashiering at 301-314-9000 to settle your bill; please let Student Financial Services and Cashiering know you have a transcript request pending and request that they send a release slip to the Office of the Registrar.

Q: Can I place an order for, or pick up a transcript for someone else?
We require a signed release from the student, including the student’s name, date of birth and UID number. If picking up in person, please include the name of the person picking up the transcript. The person picking up transcripts must present a photo ID at time of pickup.

Visiting the University of Maryland

Q: Where is the Office of the Registrar located and where do I park?
The Clarence M. Mitchell, Jr. Building is located at 7999 Regents Drive and is adjacent to the Campus Drive Circle. Parking is available near the Visitors Center, located off of Route 1. Looking towards camus from the Visitor Center parking lot, the Clarence M. Mitchell, Jr. Building is the first building on the right, and the Office of the Registrar is located on the first floor. A walking map is available for your convenience or you may reference the Unversity of Maryland Campus Map.

Withdrawal from the University

Q: I've read the withdrawal procedures for undergraduates. Why is the University so concerned about withdrawing?
The withdrawal policy applies to undergraduate students who wish to drop all their courses and cease attending at the University for a semester. Students admitted to the University of Maryland are expected to make regular and consistent progress toward the completion of their degree. There may be exceptional circumstances that require a student to drop all classes and withdraw from school. The University considers such interruptions to be a serious matter as they delay a student's progress toward the degree. Consequently, students should not use the withdrawal process for frivolous reasons or to avoid the consequences of ignoring their academic responsibilities.

Q: If I need to withdraw what must I do?
The University of Maryland is committed to the academic success of its students and wishes to ensure that students fully understand all consequences of withdrawing and have a clear plan for re-enrolling and completing their degrees. Students should submit a written notice of withdrawal to the Registrar's Office in Mitchell 1113, by no later than the last day of classes. The Registrar's staff will provide you with information about withdrawal and the process for returning.

Q: What is the process for returning?
With the exception of students who have earned a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA with no previous withdrawal or leave of absence, students who find it necessary to leave the University are required to petition the Faculty Review Board in order to return. Students petitioning the Faculty Review Board are also required to complete a Reinstatement Advising Meeting with their academic college advising office before a petition is considered.

Q: What is a leave of absence?
A leave of absence is a form of withdrawal. It is especially helpful for students who are receiving financial aid or who have student loans. Students on Federal Financial Aid may receive some benefit from a leave of absence. Prior to withdrawing, students with any form of financial assistance, such as grants, scholarships or loans, should meet with a financial aid counselor. A leave of absence can be granted only if the student withdraws during the last sixty days of the semester and intends to return to school the following semester (fall or spring).

Q: What if I get called to active military duty?
If you are called to active duty in the U.S. armed forces, you may withdraw and receive a full refund of your tuition and fees for that semester. Students may re-enroll upon completion of their tour of duty.