Graduate Degree Clearance Services

Graduate Degrees Clearance FAQs

Q: What are the deadlines for graduation for my graduate degree?

A: These deadlines are found here.

Q: I missed a deadline for submitting paperwork to the Office of the Registrar. What are my options?

A: If you have missed a required deadline for a given semester, you need to file a Petition for Waiver of Regulation. This petition needs to be signed by your program’s Director of Graduate Studies and then forwarded to the Graduate School for approval. Note: Only in extenuating circumstances will a deadline waiver be granted. Simply having forgotten the deadline does not qualify.

Q: What are the requirements for setting up an oral examination (defense) of my dissertation?

A: You can find the requirements here.

Q: What are the requirements for setting up an oral examination of my thesis?

A: You can find the requirements here.

Q: Where do I turn in my Thesis or Dissertation?

A: Students can submit their documents electronically to Proquest’s submission site.

Q: What are the formatting requirements for my thesis or dissertation?

Q: How do I check if I have met all the necessary Graduate School requirements for graduation?

A: You may contact the Graduate Degrees Clearance Services at or you may visit 1113 Mitchell Building

Q: How do I obtain a copy of the University of Maryland Thesis and Dissertation Style Guide?

A: The University of Maryland Thesis and Dissertation Style Guide can be found by clicking here.

Q: How do I calculate my Grade Point Average?

A: The A+ and A is calculated at 4 quality points, A- at 3.7 quality points, B+ at 3.3 quality points, B at 3 quality points, B- at 2.7 quality points, C+ at 2.3 quality points, C at 2 quality points, and C- at 1.7 quality points. The grades of D+, D, D-, F, and I receive no quality points. Students do not earn credit toward the degree for courses in which they receive a grade of D+, D, D-, or F. For graduate students, all courses taken that are numbered 400 and above (except 500-level courses, those numbered 799, 898, or 899, and those graded with an S) will be used in the calculation of the grade point average. A student may repeat a course in an effort to earn a better grade. Whether higher or lower, the most recent grade will be used in computing the grade point average. Grades for graduate students remain as part of the student's permanent record. Changes in previously recorded grades may be made if timely (within one semester) and if the original instructor certifies that an actual mistake was made in determining or recording the grade. The change must be approved by the department chair and the Dean of the Graduate School. Graduate credit transferred from another institution will not be included in the calculation of the grade point average.

Q: What are the Graduate School’s requirements for the Master’s degree?

A: You can find more information by going to the Graduate Catalog.

Q: What do I do if an emergency substitution has to be made for my dissertation/thesis defense?

A: Your department will need to contact the Graduate School immediately. You can call Dr. Alexander Chen (301-405-4901) or Ms. Toyin Oguntolu (301-405-0827).

Q: How do I request a certification of completion letter?

A: Please email your request to Please include your name, UID, and email address/regular mail address that you would like the letter sent to.