Veteran Benefits

The University of Maryland Welcomes Veterans and Veterans' Dependents

Thank you for your service to our country!

Students attending the university under the Veteran's Education Assistance Act can receive assistance and enrollment certification at the Office of the Registrar, 1113 Clarence M. Mitchell Jr. Building, Phone: (301) 314-8239, Fax: 301-314-9568, Email:

Veterans Certification at the University of Maryland

UMD VA Enrollment Certification Request Form

Veterans are certified on a per semester basis (i.e., benefits do not automatically roll over from one semester to another); all returning University of Maryland College Park students must complete the UMD VA Enrollment Certification Request Form before the beginning of each semester (fall and spring; winter and summer are optional) so that benefits will not be interrupted. The office serves a large group of students; to avoid delays in processing claims it is extremely important to submit all the requested supporting documents in a timely manner, immediately upon registering for the upcoming term.

To prevent delays in receipt of benefits, the University is required to notify the Department of Veterans Affairs of the following changes:

  • Credit level or grading option change
  • Change of major
  • Change of address
  • Term of graduation
  • Academic probation or dismissal
  • Intent to transfer from the College Park campus

Veterans' Benefits

It is recommended that all veterans review the GI Bill® web site. For comprehensive VA Education Benefits counseling, send an email inquiry, or call the VA at 1-888-GIBILL1. If you have questions pertaining to payment, availability of benefits, or approvals, please call the regional VA Office at 1-888-442-4551.

Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill (Active Duty - MGIB-AD)

Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation (VR&E)

Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill (Active Duty or Veteran)

Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill (Spouse or Dependent)

Chapter 35 - Survivors and Dependents Assistance (Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance - DEA)

Chapter 1606 - Montgomery GI Bill (Selected Reserve - MGIB-SR)

Chapter 1607 - Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

Survivors and Dependents Assistance (Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship)

Yellow Ribbon Program (Provision of Post 9/11 GI Bill)

Tuition Assistance Top Up (Only Available for Recipients of MGIB-AD and Post 9/11 GI Bill)

Tutorial Assistance (Reimbursement for Tutoring)

Veteran Student Resources

Veteran Student Life

University of Maryland Scholarship Information

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at